Thursday, May 12, 2016

BASIC TOMATO PASTE IDEAS

This is my favorite brand of tomato paste.  I use to work at a pizza shop and we did a lot of experimentation and to me and my taste buds Contadina wins out.   Except we were using about 4 pounds of it with other ingredients.  So were sticking to the 8oz can.

Yes this post involves soup broth or stock if your wondering.

In the beginning of my culinary experimentation I was literally flying blind.  I had no clue how to cook, heck I didn't even have a recipe book.  I can't not say I was taught by my mother or any family member. She still confused to how I manged to learn.   Trial and Error.  12 years later and here we are.  And this is what has gotten me though the thin times.

Ok first here is how I open the can.  Use the can opener on the top and bottom.  Then with one shake it all come out into the pan.  No pushing or scooping.
 
And here is something to thing about the 8 oz tomato paste it concentrated. So in this little can you can get a lot more bang for your buck.  

You can use water if you want, but I highly recommend broth or stock if you have any hiding in your freezer.  So here we go.

Add one cup of water, broth or stock to the tomato paste and turn to medium.  Yes it will spit and spatter.  So stir in the liquid with a wooden spoon.  As soon as you see all the liquid be absorbed add another cup of liquid.  Stir Stir Stir.  And this is a good time to add your spices.  The more the merrier is what I say.  You'll see the liquid get absorbed and the volume of tomato pate will triple in volume.

Now like the gravy recipe you have to decide what stage you want to stop.  You can add more liquid and it's amazing how much this can absorb.  

Oh no I added too much liquid it's too watery!!!!! No big deal Freeze it and they next time you make tomato paste as above thaw out the oops and add it to the tomato paste.  Now you will have a lot of tomato paste mind you, but it will be ready right away.  

How to thaw out frozen tomato paste.    You can defrosted in the microwave on a defroster mode.  Or the old fashion way is plop it out of the container into a pot with one cup of water, turn on Medium low and let defrost that way.  I like doing it that way it save the flavor.  

Have fun creating your own version. Maybe you have a time honoured tradition of making a spicy or mild soup I have never heard of.  You are the master of your ship.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment